Timeline – Kirkby

 

Picture

Traditional date of first settlement and simple chapel

870 A.D.
Picture

Domesday Survey - Kirkby cited as 'Cherchebi' part of the 'West Derby Hundred' - population around 70

1086
Picture

Little change to the rural farming community but frequent changes of land ownership

11-16th C
Picture

The Molyneux family complete the purchase of the entire Kirkby manor lands

1596
Picture

Whitefield House and nearby dovecote (pigeon house) erected

c.1703
Picture

New chapel built on the site of former ancient building

1766
Picture

Charles William Molyneux created 1st Earl of Sefton

1771
Picture

Kirkby School built

1806
Picture

New vicarage built in Old Hall Lane
Kirkby Railway Station opens as part of the Liverpool, Bolton and Bury line
Kirkby Waterworks, built by St Helens Corporation completed

1848
Picture

Birth of Robert Atherton (Robin o' Bob's), ploughboy poet: known as the Lancashire 'Burns'

1861
Picture

New parish church of St. Chad consecrated. Ceremony performed by the Lord Bishop of Chester

1871
Picture

Old Kirkby Chapel taken down

1872
Picture

St. Helens Waterworks pumping station built at Kirkby

1881
Picture

Strike by agricultural workers for better pay and shorter hours

1913
Picture

Robert Atherton (Robin o' Bob's) buried at St. Chad's churchyard

1930
Picture

East Lancashire Road (A580) built: dual carriageway linking Liverpool with Manchester officially opened by King George V, 18th July 1934

1934
Picture

Royal Ordnance Factory built: employing 20,000 workers at its peak

1939-41
Picture

ROF site bought by Liverpool Corporation with a view to develop a trading estate

1946
Picture

Kirkby land bought by Liverpool Corporation from Earl of Sefton for housing development

1947
Picture

Former Royal Ordnance Factory hostel site at Kirkby Fields becomes Kirkby Training College, a facility to provide emergency training to teaching staff following the war, officially opened 5th July 1948

1948
Picture

Liverpool City and Lancashire County officials meet to discuss Kirkby 'New Town'

1949
Picture

Development of new housing in Southdene, Westvale and Northwood. The Kirkby Industrial Estate expands to become one of the largest in the country

1950s
Picture

First batch of students arrive at the new Federation of Malaya Teachers' Training College, Kirkby Fields, 2nd January 1952

1952
Picture

Kirkby Urban District Council created

1958
Picture

Kirkby Market opened

1960
Picture

Census shows Kirkby’s population at 52,207
Opening of Westvale Community Centre
Opening of Webster's Park
Opening of Kirkby College of Further Education
Opening of Kirkby Police Headquarters

1961
Picture

Closure of the Malayan Teachers' Training College at Kirkby Fields after 1,300 teachers are trained in a period of ten years

1962
Picture

Kirkby Library opened 18th March, 1964
Kirkby Stadium opened 20th June 1964 by the Rt. Hon. Harold Wilson, M.P.

1964
Picture

Building work begins on new Kirkby Civic Centre

1966
Picture

Kirkby's landmark waterworks building and tower demolished
Phase I of the Tower Hill Estate completed, Phase II begun
Kirkby Town Football Club, Simonswood Lane, opened by J. Harold Wilson, 7th April 1967

1967
Picture

Opening of the "Civic Buildings" by Prime Minister Rt. Hon. J. Harold Wilson, O.B.E., M.P., 19th April, 1969

1969
Picture

Local government re-organisation - Kirkby becomes part of the new Metropolitan Borough of Knowsley
Kirkby Sports Centre opened by Wilfred Byron, Clerk of the Council, 29th March

1974
Picture

Opening of Kirkby's ASDA store , 30th September 1975

1975
Picture

J & A Cinema, Kirkby, shows its first film: Paint Your Wagon, 4th January 1976

1976
Picture

Queen Elizabeth II visits Kirkby as part of a tour of Merseyside

1978
Picture

Kirkby's ASDA store closes, 24th August 1979

1979
Picture

Kirkby's J & A Cinema closes, 1st August 1982

1982
Picture

Regeneration of Kirkby Town Centre including Kirkby Library. Two new installations erected in Newton Gardens: a multi-coloured clock tower and a bandstand for community events

mid-1990s
Picture

QVC opens a call centre and warehouse in South Boundary Road and becomes a major local employer
The Academy, Liverpool F.C.'s training ground and youth academy opens in Kirkby

1998
Picture

Brookfield High School merged with Ruffwood School to form Kirkby Sports College, Centre for Learning on the site of Brookfield. Officially opened 2nd October 2009

2009
Picture

Kirkby Sports College, Centre for Learning, converts to academy status and becomes known as Kirkby High School, September 2013

2013
Picture

The newly refurbished covered Kirkby Market opens - 26th April 2014
The Kirkby Centre opened (in the regenerated Kirkby Suite building) Norwich Way, bringing together key services including: Kirkby Library, ARK (Archive Resource for Knowsley), Gallery, One Stop Shop and Adult Disability Day Service

2014
Picture

Two of three public artworks installed in Kirkby town centre: the 'Tree of Life': a 6 metre cast replica of Knowsley Borough's oldest tree (allegedly 400 years old) and Edward's Elephant (inspired by the poetry of Edward Lear who drew the animals in the menagerie at Knowsley Hall in 1832) which is mounted on a metal 11 metre long representation of a Viking longboat (representing Kirkby's Norse heritage)

2015
Picture

Official opening of Kirkby's new bus station after refurbishment, 14th October 2016
The final piece of three public artworks is installed in Civic Square, outside the Kirkby Centre. The artwork consists of three colourful winged thrones, each with its own distinctive features

2016
Picture

Plaque commemorating the Malayan Teachers’ Training College at Kirkby Fields unveiled at Granborne Chase on 60th anniversary of the declaration of Malaya’s independence (31st August 1957)

2017
Picture

Kirkby Library building in Newtown Gardens demolished March 2018. A new cinema is to be constructed on the site

2018