Timeline – Huyton

 

Picture

Appears in the Domesday Book as 'Hitune'

1086
Picture

Grant of the church at Huyton by Robert de Lathom to the priory he founded at Burscough

c.1189
Picture

The Corpse Way, a footpath from Tarbock to Huyton in use as a route for burial parties to Huyton Parish Church

1520
Picture

Datestone on Huyton Hey Manor

1670
Picture

The Red Hazels built

1764
Picture

Original Huyton Cross erected

1819
Picture

Hurst House built

1830
Picture

Huyton Gate railway station built; part of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway, the first passenger line in the world

1830
Picture

St. Agnes Roman Catholic Chapel built on land provided by the Molyneux-Seel family (replaced by a new building in 1965)

1856
Picture

Huyton Congregational Chapel built (later known as Park Hall)

1856
Picture

Huyton Cricket and Bowling Club in Huyton Lane founded

1860
Picture

Discovery of a Norman font found buried under the tower of St Michael's Church

1872
Picture

St. Gabriel's school built in Huyton Quarry, also used as a temporary church

1873
Picture

Huyton Local Government Board established

1877
Picture

New Congregational Church built at the junction of Victoria Road and Seel Road

1890
Picture

Huyton Urban District Council, covering Huyton, Roby and Thingwall formed

1894
Picture

St. Gabriel's Church Huyton Quarry consecrated

1894
Picture

Liverpool College for Girls, Huyton (later Huyton College) opens

1894
Picture

New Huyton Cross erected, replacing the original

1897
Picture

Royal visit by King Edward VII

1905
Picture

War memorial erected to the Great War dead

1921
Picture

Internment camp established on newly built housing estate at Page Moss

1940
Picture

Prisoner of war camp established on King George V Playing Fields

c.1943
Picture

First of Huyton's new housing estates under construction

1940s
Picture

Development of Huyton Village into a modern shopping centre began

1960s
Picture

Huntley and Palmer's biscuit factory opens on Wilson Road, Huyton's Industrial Estate

1961
Picture

Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council formed

1974
Picture

Huyton Suite opens 5th April 1975

1975
Picture

ASDA opened its store in Derby Road, 8th November 1977

1977
Picture

Huyton Library building opened in Derby Road

1978
Picture

New Huyton Library and Gallery building opened in Civic Way

1997
Picture

Nutgrove Villa, NHS walk-in centre opened in Westmorland Road

2005
Picture

ASDA-Walmart opened a two-storey superstore off Huyton Lane, 28th August 2005

2005
Picture

Huyton Sports and Arts Centre for Learning secondary school built on former Knowsley Hey School site in Seel Road

2009
Picture

Knowsley Leisure Centre and Culture Park opened on Longview Drive

2011
Picture

Huyton Sports and Arts Centre for Learning, Seel Road, has a change of name to Lord Derby Academy

2014