Skip to content

Timeline – Halewood

  1. Home
  2. /
  3. Halewood
  4. /
  5. Timeline – Halewood

 

Picture

Disputes begin over the manor lands between the Holland and Ireland families

13th Century
Picture

Halewood now a separate township from Hale

15th Century
Picture

The manor of Halewood became part of the dower of Charlotte, Countess of Derby

1628
Picture

• Halewood still divided between two manors: The Ireland portion held by the Ireland-Blackburnes and the Holland portion by the Earl of Derby
• Halewood crossed by two separate railway links

19th Century
Picture

Original Chapel of St. Nicholas built

1839
Picture

Halewood Tithe Map and Apportionment Schedule completed

1843
Picture

Halewood Parish formed from part of the civil parishes of Huyton and Childwall

1844
Picture

St. Nicholas' Chapel greatly enlarged

1847
Picture

Wesleyan Chapel was built at Halebank

1861
Picture

St. Nicholas' Chapel becomes a rectory and a true Parish Church

1868
Picture

Halewood Railway Station opens on Bailey's Lane - May 1874

1874
Picture

Halewood Village School built adjacent to the church

1876
Picture

The 'Ireland' portion of Halebank becomes part of the Widnes Corporation

1920
Picture

Land at Halewood North End and part of Halebank held by the 17th Earl of Derby, sold to Liverpool Corporation

1930
Picture

Horses' Rest site relocated to Lodge Farm, Halewood (this later became RSPCA Liverpool Animal Centre)

1938
Picture

'Blackie' the war horse that served his officer owner in the Royal Field Artillery in France and Belgium during the Great War is buried at RSPCA Animal Centre, Higher Road

1942
Picture

Housing estates including tower blocks built to cater for the surge in the population

1950s
Picture

Ford Motor Company plant completed at Halewood but in the building of the plant, two ancient moated sites were destroyed: the Old Hutt and Wright's Moat

1963
Picture

Halewood became part of the newly created Metropolitan Borough of Knowsley.

1974
Picture

Halewood Leisure Centre opened in Bailey's Lane

2002
Picture

Appraisal of Halewood's Conservation Area completed

2005
Picture

Everton F.C.'s new training ground USM Finch Farm, off Finch Lane and Higher Road opens - 9th October 2007

2007
Picture

Ford sells Jaguar and Land Rover to India-based Tata Group, the merged company name becoming Jaguar Land Rover

2008
Picture

Halewood Centre for Learning opened in The Avenue, Wood Road

2009
Picture

• Leather's Lane area regeneration: opening of Halewood Shopping Centre alongside a new bus terminus
• In Roseheath Drive, The Halewood Centre opens combining various Knowsley Council services including Halewood Library, NHS Knowsley, Post Office and various commercial services

2012
Picture

Change of name for Halewood Centre for Learning School to Halewood Academy

2013
Picture

Council-owned Volair Limited takes over running of all KMBC's leisure centres including Volair Halewood in Bailey's Lane

2016
Picture

RSPCA branch at Higher Road, Halewood, closes - May 2019

2019
Picture

• Halewood Community Police Station, Leather's Lane re-opens following refurbishment - 29th January 2020
• The whole year 2020 was dominated by the Coronavirus COVID-19. Working from home or being on furlough became the new normal, together with social distancing measures and the wearing of face coverings

2020
Picture

Approval granted to build 1,300 homes on the fields off Bailey's Lane and Greensbridge Lane, including on the former RSPCA site - 11th February 2021

2021
Skip to content