Timeline – Cronton

 

Picture

Mill built by Adam the Carpenter from Upton

c.1230
Picture

Township given as alms to Stanlaw Abbey

1250
Picture

Dissolution of the monasteries, Cronton Manor sold to Thomas Holt of Gristlehurst

1537
Picture

Pex Hill sandstone quarry in use

17th century
Picture

Charles Leadbetter, mathematician and astronomer, born at Cronton

1681
Picture

Cronton Cross repaired

1734
Picture

Bears Paw Cottages used as a workhouse for the poor until 1843 when the Prescot Union Workhouse in Whiston was opened

1780
Picture

Cronton Hall including attached land and cottages sold by Richard Wright to John Atherton of Prescot

1819
Picture

Cronton Hall sold to Bartholomew Bretherton of Rainhill

1821
Picture

Cronton Tithe Map and Apportionment Schedule completed

1843
Picture

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel built

1845
Picture

Pex Hill Cross destroyed during the construction of Pex Hill reservoirs

1868
Picture

Public Elementary Catholic School built

1893
Picture

Population of Cronton was 583

1901
Picture

Holy Family Roman Catholic Church built, largely due to a donation from Frederick Stapleton-Bretherton of Rainhill

1911
Picture

New Holy Family Catholic school building opens

1972
Picture

Local government re-organisation - Cronton becomes part of the new Metropolitan Borough of Knowsley

1974
Picture

Cronton's war memorial erected in Smithy Lane, commemorating the local casualties of both world wars

1990
Picture

Liverpool Astronomical Society's Pex Hill Observatory opened by Dr Patrick Moore C.B.E.

1994
Picture

Cronton Garden Centre opens on Cronton Road

1995
Picture

Cronton Cross and Cronton Stocks renovated as part of the Restoration of Historic Crosses, Milestones and Landmarks Project

2007
Picture

Former Black Horse public house building, Cronton Road, re-opens as The Dandelion Tavern, April 2019

2019