Timeline – Whiston

 

Picture

1245-1355 - Recorded as Quitstan, Wystan, Quystan, Whystan, Whytstan, Whyghtstan, Quistan, Whistan, Whiston

1245 - 1355
Picture

First mention of Halsnead

1246
Picture

First mention of coal mining in the area

1521
Picture

c.1660 - Carr House built

c.1660
Picture

Thomas Willis bought Halsnead

1684
Picture

Almshouses built on Warrington Road by Oliver Lyme for the poor of the district

1707
Picture

Carr Colliery opened

1769
Picture

First mention of a Pottery in Whiston

1798
Picture

Whiston and Halsnead Collieries opened

1802
Picture

The Liverpool and Manchester Railway opened

1830
Picture

Whiston Wesleyan Methodist Chapel built

1832
Picture

Whiston Public Elementary School built
Whiston Wesleyan Association Chapel erected

1840
Picture

Prescot Union Workhouse opened (later to become Whiston Hospital)

1843
Picture

Whiston National School opened January 1853

1853
Picture

St. Nicholas Parish Church consecrated 30th July 1868

1868
Picture

Formation of Whiston Rural District Council. The district comprised the townships of Bold, Cronton, Ditton, Eccleston, Hale, Halewood, Knowsley, Rainhill, Speke, Tarbock, Whiston and Windle

1874
Picture

Whiston Free Methodist Chapel built

1879
Picture

Whiston Colliery closed

1890
Picture

Whiston Welsh Methodist Chapel built

1890
Picture

Halsnead Colliery closed

1895
Picture

Tushingham's Metallic Brick Works started production

1898
Picture

Hulton Colliery's first coal raised (later named Cronton Colliery)

1915
Picture

Stoves Ltd., gas appliance manufacturers opened their factory in Stoney Lane. The factory site straddles the boundary of Whiston and Rainhill

1925
Picture

War Memorial in the grounds of St, Nicholas Church struck by lightning (replaced by a new memorial in 1932)

1928
Picture

Halsnead Estate sold by auction

1929
Picture

Halsnead Hall demolished

1932
Picture

St. Luke's Roman Catholic Church, Shaw Lane; foundation stone laid. Opened for services in mid-1940

1939
Picture

Whiston Higher Side Comprehensive School built

1964
Picture

Whiston becomes part of the newly created Metropolitan Borough of Knowsley

1974
Picture

Whiston Railway Station opens

1990
Picture

Knowsley Cemetery opens in Fox's Bank Lane

1996
Picture

Transformation of Whiston Hospital site begins with demolition of original workhouse buildings of 1843 (Prescot Union Workhouse)

2006
Picture

Whiston Higher Side Comprehensive School closes after 46 years

2010
Picture

St Edmund Arrowsmith Catholic Centre for Learning opens on Cumber Lane

2010
Picture

KMBC submit proposals for Halsnead Garden Village

2017