Skip to content

Timeline – Stockbridge Village

  1. Home
  2. /
  3. Stockbridge Village
  4. /
  5. Timeline – Stockbridge Village

 

Picture

֍ William the Conqueror’s Great Survey which resulted in the Domesday Book of 1086 being produced showed the land that became Stockbridge Village was owned by the Thane, Uctred. This ownership later transferred to the de Lathom family

1086
Picture

֍ Stock Bridge was originally a wooden bridge which crossed the River Alt. It was named as a boundary as early as 1189

1189
Picture

֍ Isabel de Lathom married Sir John de Stanley and the lands passed to the Stanley line

1385
Picture

֍ In 1485, Thomas, Lord Stanley became 1st Earl of Derby. Later the Stanley family seat would be Knowsley Hall

1485
Picture

֍ Many local agricultural workers employed on the surrounding land of the Knowsley Park Estate

up to 20th Century
Picture

֍ Land purchased around Cantril Farm by Liverpool Corporation for development

1961
Picture

֍ First homes occupied on the new Cantril Farm estate, built on the Radburn design layout

1965
Picture

֍ Two new primary schools opened: St Albert's and St Brigid's

1968
Picture

֍ The Withens Shopping Centre opens

1970
Picture

֍ Original Cantril Farm Library opens (17th July 1971, with the official opening 13th Aug)

1971
Picture

֍ Cantril Farm in general decline

1980
Picture

֍ Visit by Michael Heseltine, Secretary of State for the Environment to assess the situation

1982
Picture

֍ Stockbridge Village Trust Ltd established
֍ KMBC’s portion of Cantril Farm (two-thirds), re-named Stockbridge Village

1983
Picture

֍ Heatwaves Leisure Centre, The Withens, opens - 8th September 1990

1990
Picture

֍ Original Cantril Farm/Stockbridge Village Library closes - 28th November 1992

1992
Picture

֍ New Stockbridge Village Library opens adjacent to Heatwaves, The Withens - 24th October 1993

1993
Picture

֍ Stockbridge Village's council properties transferred to the Villages Housing Association

1995
Picture

֍ Heatwaves Leisure Centre closes - 1st Dec 2009

2009
Picture

֍ Regeneration of Stockbridge Village begins

2010
Picture

֍ New complex the 'Neighbourhood Centre' opens at The Withens connecting the following:
֍ Stockbridge Village Primary School (following amalgamation)
֍ New Stockbridge Village Library, opened - 5th Sept 2011
֍ Stockbridge Leisure Centre combining gym, sports and leisure facilities

2011-2012
Picture

֍ Council-owned Volair Limited takes over running of all KMBC’s Leisure Centres including Stockbridge Village site

2016
Picture

֍ Barley Mow public house, Waterpark Drive, demolished

2018
Picture

֍ New housing completed on former Barley Mow public house site - February 2020
֍ The whole year 2020 was dominated by the Coronavirus COVID-19. Working from home or being on furlough became the new normal, together with social distancing measures and the wearing of face coverings

2020
Picture

֍ The Littlewoods of Stockbridge Association and Junior Rangers gain financial support from the Community Environment Fund for their Nine Trees Pond project to increase biodiversity - 4th February 2021
֍ Completion of the new 90-home Jackson Gardens extra-care development has provided 64 one and two-bedroom apartments and 26 bungalows for safe, independent living combined with 24-hour support - 3rd June 2021
֍ Public urged throughout the year to become vaccinated against the Coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19)

2021
Picture

֍ Following the successful COVID-19 vaccination programme, the government removes the remaining legal restrictions to public freedom - February 2022

2022
Skip to content