Skip to content

Timeline – Prescot

  1. Home
  2. /
  3. Prescot
  4. /
  5. Timeline – Prescot

 

Picture

֍ William D'Acre, Lord of the Manor, granted the right to hold a weekly market (Monday) and a three day fair at Corpus Christi

1333
Picture

֍ Prescot is included in the Bodleian map of Britain

1350
Picture

֍ Manor sold to John of Gaunt and on his death passed to his son, who became King Henry IV

1391
Picture

֍ Henry VI granted the patronage of the rectory to his newly endowed college of St. Mary and St. Nicholas, later Kings College, Cambridge

1445
Picture

֍ Start of coalmining in the area

c.1510
Picture

֍ Prescot Grammar School formed

1544
Picture

֍ Prescot Manor bought by the Layton family and rebuilt

1562
Picture

֍ Introduction of watch-making to the town

c.1600
Picture

֍ St. Mary's Church, Prescot, rebuilt

1610
Picture

֍ Manor House rebuilt by Robert Roper (demolished 1930's by British Insulated Cables Ltd)

1702
Picture

֍ Turnpike road to Liverpool constructed

1726
Picture

֍ Tower and spire added to St. Mary's Church

1729
Picture

֍ Town Hall rebuilt on site of former building

1755
Picture

֍ John Philip Kemble baptised at Prescot (born 1st February 1757)

1759
Picture

֍ New Prescot Grammar School building completed on High Street, used until 1924

1760
Picture

֍ Market Round House built, demolished in 1860s

1812
Picture

֍ Prescot Gas Company formed

1833
Picture

֍ Prescot Tithe Map and Apportionment Schedule completed

1847
Picture

֍ Prescot Local Government Board formed

1867
Picture

֍ Branch line of the London and North Western Railway from Huyton to St. Helen's via Prescot opened

1871
Picture

֍ Prescot Football Club founded

1884
Picture

֍ Lancashire Watch Company founded

1889
Picture

֍ British Insulated Wire Company (later BIHC, BIC, then BICC) established by James and Jacob Atherton

1891
Picture

֍ Electric lighting of Prescot and of Knowsley Hall by British Insulated Wire Company

1892
Picture

֍ Prescot Urban District Council formed

1894
Picture

֍ Tramline established from Knotty Ash to St. Helens via Prescot
֍ British Insulated Wire Company, Prescot, becomes British Insulated and Helsby Cables Limited

1902
Picture

֍ Athletics and football ground constructed on Hope Street. Prescot Football Club becomes Prescot Athletics F.C.

1906
Picture

֍ Prescot Mill destroyed by a fire

1908
Picture

֍ Edward VII passes through Prescot on his way to Knowsley Hall

1909
Picture

֍ The Picture Palace Cinema opens in Kemble St (became The Palace Cinema around 1927)

1912
Picture

֍ Soldiers of the newly-formed 17th Battalion, King’s (Liverpool) Regiment (one of four Liverpool Pals’ battalions), move into the former watch factory premises at Prescot, to use it as a barracks during their army training - 14th September 1914

1914
Picture

֍ Soldiers of the 17th, 18th 19th and 20th Battalions of the King’s (Liverpool) Regiment, known as the Liverpool Pals, leave from Prescot Railway Station 30th April 1915 for Grantham, Lincolnshire, for further training prior to their ultimate departure to France to fight in the Great War in early November,

1915
Picture

֍ War Memorial unveiled in Market Place - 9th September 1916

1916
Picture

֍ Prescot Athletics F.C. reverts back to it's original name of Prescot Football Club

1918
Picture

֍ Lime House Cinema opens in Eccleston Street - December 1922

1922
Picture

֍ Prescot Grammar School moves to a new site on St. Helens Road

1924
Picture

֍ British Insulated and Helsby Cables Limited renamed British Insulated Cables Limited

1925
Picture

֍ British Insulated Cables Ltd donates a 1,000-seater stand to the local football club. The club in turn changed it's name from Prescot Football Club to Prescot Cables

֍ 1928
Picture

֍ Prescot Library opens in Derby Street, 12th February 1932

1932
Picture

֍ Prescot Library in Derby Street closes, 31st August 1938
֍ Prescot Library in Kemble Street opens, 5th September 1938

1938
Picture

֍ British Insulated Cables Limited merged with Callenders to become British Insulated Callenders Cables Limited

1945
Picture

֍ The Palace Cinema, Kemble Street, closes

1957
Picture

֍ Lime House Cinema, Eccleston Street, which opened in 1922, closes - 2nd July 1960

1960
Picture

֍ Closure of Prescot Library in Kemble Street, February 1961
֍ Opening of Prescot Branch Library on High Street - 9th March 1961

1961
Picture

֍ Town Hall building demolished

1962
Picture

֍ Scotchbarn Swimming Pool opened - July 1973

1973
Picture

֍ Knowsley Metropolitan Borough formed
֍ M57 Motorway: phase 2 completed, connecting Prescot at Junction 2

1974
Picture

֍ Prescot Museum opens in Church Street

1982
Picture

֍ British Insulated Callenders Cables factory closes

1990s
Picture

֍ Knowsley Park Centre for Learning opens in Knowsley Park Lane

2009
Picture

֍ Townscape Heritage Initiative (THI) secures an initial grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund for the Conservation Area around Prescot Town Centre - November 2010

2010
Picture

֍ Prescot Shopping Centre (including a new library and museum) opens. The library opened 23rd April 2012 with the official opening on 20th July

2012
Picture

֍ New Prescot Town Hall building opens on Warrington Road
֍ Wall art unveiled in Leyland St depicting an Elizabethan Theatre

2014
Picture

֍ Plaque unveiled by Lord Derby on 25 April 2015 at Prescot Railway Station, commemorating the departure of soldiers of the Liverpool Pals' Battalions who in April 1915 left Prescot after initial basic training at Knowsley Park

2015
Picture

֍ Council-owned Volair Limited takes over running all KMBC's leisure centres including Prescot Soccer Centre on Warrington Road

2016
Picture

֍ Construction work to begin on the new Shakespeare North Playhouse during the summer. Following a public vote, Prospero Place will be the name of the new street on which the Playhouse will stand
֍ The Bard, a micropub, opens in High St, - 14 February 2018
֍ Pinion Bistro, a new restaurant, opens in Eccleston St, - September 2018
֍ Balearic bar Urbano Chiringuito opens, also in Eccleston St, - December 2018
֍ Coffee shop and tearoom, Down in Albion, opens in Atherton St

2018
Picture

More new bars, restaurants and cafe's open in Prescot:
֍ The Oven Pizzeria opens in Eccleston St - June 2019
֍ Spice Chilli, Indian restaurant opens in Eccleston St -June 2019
֍ Lord Strange, bar and restaurant opens in Leyland St - August 2019
֍ Harrington's Bar and Eatery, Eccleston St - October 2019
֍ Poco Bar & Café, Eccleston St - October 2019
֍ Imaginarium Bistro opens in Market Place - November 2019

2019
Picture

֍ Prescot’s skyline temporarily altered as a 190 foot crane is erected on the site of Shakespeare North Playhouse as the theatre construction continues - January 2020
֍ Eden Bar and Garden, Eccleston St, opens - February 2020
֍ Extra Care Scheme housing opens in former Lancashire Watch Factory premises - September 2020
֍ Shakespeare North Playhouse awarded £3million under the Government's Capital Kickstart Grant to offset the impact of stifled fundraising during COVID_19 crisis - December 2020
֍ The whole year 2020 was dominated by the Coronavirus COVID-19. Working from home or being on furlough became the new normal, together with social distancing measures and the wearing of face coverings

2020
Picture

֍ Custom-made signs with a Shakespearian 'Welcome Wanderer' theme installed on the approaches to the town - January 2021
֍ Wayfinding signage installed in Prescot town centre - February 2021
֍ Installation of the oak-framed theatre begins inside the Shakespeare North Playhouse building - March 2021
֍ Major accessibility improvements to Prescot Railway Station completed - June 2021
֍ Pieces of public art installed on roundabouts leading to the town highlighting Prescot's industrial heritage - June 2021
֍ Crane used for 20 months in the Shakespeare North Playhouse theatre construction has been dismantled and removed - September 2021

2021
Skip to content